View Single Post
Old October 23, 2013, 04:49 PM   #102
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoCarry
...Obviously you skipped from the first page to the last because you missed the 2 posts of evidence on page 2.
Well, that's earned you another "Phooey!".

Vanya, Brian, I, and Glenn, in posts 41 and 44, 43, 46, and 47, respectively, explained why your so called evidence was not. And in post 99, Brian explained again why your so called evidence was not.

Quote:
Quote:
And how many would there have been without concealed carry?

Of course no one can know that. And open carry is legal in Idaho.

So there is no way to draw any kind of meaningful inference about the effectiveness or ineffectiveness of concealed carry (or open carry) from crime numbers.

What your post does illustrate is your tendency to misunderstand/misuse data.
The point being, there were 17,523 crimes against persons in Idaho and I wasn't one of them, nor were any of our OC members.
Phooey! yet again. That was not the point you claimed to be making in post 88. To save everyone the time of looking it up, here it is:
Quote:
Quote:
One of John Lott's hypotheses in More Guns - Less Crime was that prevailing concealed carry meant that anyone might have a gun; and therefore a criminal couldn't know whether a particular potential victim was or was not armed. Lott suggested that lack of knowledge was likely to have a "chilling effect" on criminal behavior.
We had 17,523 crimes against persons in Idaho last year. Obviously not too "chilling" to the people who committed these crimes in light of us having one of the highest percentages of CC licenses per capita.
It's quite explicit that the point you were trying to make was that the Idaho crime number disproved Lott's hypothesis.

So now that's it's been shown that you didn't successfully make that point you decided to claim that you were making a different point.

Quote:
...my primary purpose for Open Carrying, and it is working in Idaho.
More Phooey!

Working to do what? How do you know?

Quote:
...Your staffers have a bias against OC..
Why do you believe that? Just because we're unwilling to uncritically accept your claims about open carry? Why should we? Why should anyone be expected to accept some strangers claims on what amount do faith?

We consistently point out that the anti-gun community accepts specious arguments, half-truths and unsupported claims. But I guess we of the gun community are supposed to accept specious arguments, half-truths and unsupported claims which are pro-gun.

Look, we're gun guys. I know Brian regular, and legally, carries a gun. I believe that Tom and Spats do as well. I also carry a gun whenever I legally can, and have carried openly when I felt it suitable to do so. And while I can't speak for the others, I've trained extensively. I've also helped train a great many others -- including over the years introducing hundreds of novices to the gun community.

The "take-home" message for you, if you're really paying attention, ought to be that if you can't convince us something is terribly lacking in your message and your presentation.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.05561 seconds with 8 queries