Thread: Shotgun Guide?
View Single Post
Old September 6, 2012, 03:56 PM   #8
BigJimP

I agree - the search engines leave a lot to be desired...

but adding shotguns to your hobby ...I think is a good thing / you don't need to spend a lot of money on a shotgun ...most any decent pump shotgun in a 12ga, with changeable screw in chokes and in a 28" barrel ...can be used for all of the clay target games....( guns like the Remington 870 pump - and they make a lot of versions from $ 150 - $ 600 / or the Browning BPS Hunter model selling for around $500 is a good premium pump gun).

A lot of us used pump guns to shoot clays..especially Trap ...for many years.

But just like in handguns...there is more to it....
a. cost of targets at many clubs is about $ 6 for 25 ...( a round of skeet or Trap is 25 targets).
b. a box of shells ..12ga or 20ga are about $ 6 - $ 7 ...
c. and the cost of your gun....

many of us go to our local clubs ...and shoot 4 rounds of skeet, etc as a good afternoon for fun .../ you don't have to shoot 10 rounds to have fun...

and the cost of your gun ....is going to be the lease expensive thing you'll pay for long term...in the clay target games.

Tactical is different.../but a lot of us into shotguns in a big way ...have nothing to do with tactical shotguns...we rely on our handguns for that stuff / and our shotguns for fun. But a "Fighting" shotgun ...and a "Defensive shotgun" are very different beasts....I can use any shotgun I own...a semi-auto with a 30" barrel, an Over Under with 28" barrels, or a pump gun with 28" barrels for defense..although it may not be optimum for a "Fighting shotgun" ...I have no need for a "fighting shotgun"...that's what my variety of Sig Suers, my S&W revolers, or my 1911's are for....

On the other hand ...if you want a Tactical shotgun...mossberg 500??, remington 870's, Benelli (like the M-4), etc ....all make good Tactical shotguns ...and some guys love em....

so there are a lot of aspects to this "Shotgun" side....of this gun hobby...

Have fun with it ....no matter what you end up doing !

Page generated in 0.03414 seconds with 8 queries