View Single Post
Old November 29, 2006, 05:56 PM   #15
Fremmer

Quote:
Cardinal rule: After placing your first shot, if you can still see the animal, and it is up on all fours (moving or not) SHOOT IT AGAIN! Continue to shoot until it is down, then immediately approach the animal and make sure that it is dead.
I'm not sure it is a cardinal rule in all circumstances. If the animal gets up and is moving away at a slow or moderate speed, then you probably should shoot again. On the other hand, if the animal gets up and starts running like heck, you may not want to shoot again. If you don't think you can make the running shot, you probably won't make it; all you'll accomplish is making a lot of noise and scaring the wounded animal even more, causing it to run faster and farther.

I don't think I'd immediately approach it, either. I'd wait and let it stiffen up and die before approaching it.

Quote:
I wish to hell that hunters would remember that they owe a debt to the game animal they’re shooting to make their demise as clean and quick as possible, and that they also have a duty not to waste meat
Gee, thanks for the reminder. Most of us just want to wound the animal so that we can try tracking it in the dark, and then feel regretful about not finding it.

Page generated in 0.02865 seconds with 8 queries