Thread: Remington 31
View Single Post
Old April 24, 2017, 12:42 AM   #2
Kilrain

No, you shouldn't need to "slam" it open to get a round released from the magazine.

Initial thought would be dirty/rusty gun. Completely disassemble, thoroughly clean and oil, reassemble and test it. If that doesn't work, weak magazine spring and/or damaged/worn shell stop and/or damaged/worn cartridge carrier would be my next things to check.

On the 31, the left side shell stop(looking top down, so when you turn it over it will be on the right) is primary, moves in and out and is acuated by the cartridge carrier. The right side shell stop is secondary, moves up and down and is actuated by the bolt slide.

Most likely, if a good cleaning doesn't help, it's one or a combination of the above parts causing the problem, most likely cartridge carrier and/or primary cartridge stop. Luckily, they aren't very expensive and are available from gunpartscorp.com(Numrich).

Regarding the magazine capacity and follower, you might be able to shorten one and squeeze in an extra round, but I wouldn't recommend it, but it's your gun so... I'd say buy one from Numrich($6.25), cut and try that one, keep the original in case things don't work out.

Good luck, the 31 is a GREAT gun, one of the most underrated pump guns there is.

Last edited by Kilrain; April 24, 2017 at 12:55 AM.

Page generated in 0.03220 seconds with 8 queries