View Single Post
Old November 15, 2017, 09:35 PM   #4
OzeanJaeger

If your going MOA and using it for hunting I wouldn’t go FFP. You certainly can do it, but the SFP reticle is a lot easier to use on the low power settings, you may find that a FFP reticle shrinks to an annoying size on the lowest power settings when hunting. I rarely dial for range when I hunt, use pretty low power settings, and generally find SFP more suited to the application.

For target shooting at long range you know exactly where the target is and are usually dialed up anyway, so the windage in the reticle will be on.

My big NF is on a .300WM I use the same way you plan to use it, and I too went MOA for fine adjustment on LR targets, but went SFP because I want to hunt with it too.

I really only go FFP on my competition rifles, and then in mRad because I’m dialing up and down very fast on targets at different ranges in 10 shot strings.

Again, either will certainly work, but I find that to make the reticle comfortable when hunting a FFP I have to dial a up too high, and it narrows my field of view, which is a disadvantage when you have to bring the rifle up quickly and get on a big buck.

As I said, both brands make a solid piece of glass, and you can’t go wrong either way, but pick the model carefully. If possible go to the range on a busy day when there are a lot of marksmen and try them out. I know when I started going to matches I asked to handle just about every rifle and look through just about every person’s scope. I would say half the time I’m at the range someone wants to handle one of my rifles, and not only am I happy to oblige I encourage them to take a few shots.

Page generated in 0.02723 seconds with 8 queries