Thread: .243 Silencer??
View Single Post
Old May 7, 2009, 05:08 AM   #13
Billyb

.243 Sound moderator

Hi there.

Just joined this forum and posting for the first time.

I came accross this thread whilst looking for info on subsonic .243 reloading data.

Sound moderators here in the UK are sold along generic caliber lines i.e. .22, .25, .30 etc.
I have 2 Ase Utra (http://aseutra.fi/english/index.html) moderators, one in .25 and .30. Up until recently I only the .30 and
used that on my .308 as well as my .243. My mark 1 ear could not tell the difference in sound moderation, although
my guess is that using instruments you would find that it would be louder in a .243 as more gas would probably escape with
the smaller calibre bullet and bigger mod muzzle diameter.
The only reason I bought the .25 mod was because I acquired a 2nd hand custom 6x47 lapua Remy700where the muzzle thread was
different to my .30 mod.

I have very effectively loaded subsonic .308 using 150gr and 180gr cast bullets and fast burning pistol
powders such as red dot and bullseye. They are very accurate in the 50-70yd range (less than 1 inch).
At 100 yds they open up to 2-3 inches with some flyers out to 6inches - still haven't got to the bottom of
why accuracy drops off so quickly, particularly as the bullet is still stable at 100 yds.
The sound moderation is excellent - all you can hear is 'wooshing' sound accompanied with a tinny vibration
from the moderator. It is possible to see the bullet in flight through the scope and here the 'thwack' as it strikes the target.

With supersonic loads, moderators are extremely effective at reducing muzzle report and as has already been pointed out the
ballistic crack is considerably quieter than the sound of the muzzle report.
Another significant benefit is that moderators significantly reduce felt recoil - particularly true on my .308.

I recently tried loading subsonic for the .243. This was not very sucessful and I ended up with a round (jacketed) stuck in the barrel.
This was removed at the cost of a cleaning rod (handle smashed) and a 5mm brass punch (end sawn off).
Clearly there are safety issues! However, I would say that it was very obvious that the round was stuck - there was no recoil or sound.
I am going to persevere with the .243, but with cast bullets this time.

Page generated in 0.03582 seconds with 8 queries