View Single Post
Old October 3, 2005, 03:54 PM   #1
FrontSight

Hunting Dogs - OK to Keep Outside?

OK, let me start by saying I've never had a dog except for my landlord's german shepherd as a kid, and never been around bird dogs.

I live in NYC, and was just wondering what is the consensus on keeping a hunting dog outside?

My girlfriend is allergic to dogs, so keeping one in the house is not an option. So was hoping to one day get one but keep it outside. Is that cruel?

IF it's ok to keep ouside, then should it have another dog as a companion, or is it ok to keep alone? Do they get lonely? How much attention should you give it, or not give it? Is it ok to let kids play with it, or will that spoil it as a hunting dog?

How about the shelter, especially considering the feeeeezing winters and broiling summers - do they need to be totally enclosed, have a heater in winter, cooling in the summer, or just blocked from wind and snow/rain? Not sure how hardy they are and what's comfortable for them? Are they pretty much the same as humans, or does it depend on the breed?

And how large should the kennel be?

Things like that - I would love it like a family member! And I want to have the best set-up that a dog would need and deserve, without being the least bit cruel or neglecting of any of it's social needs, while also being practical at the same time...

AS you can see, I'm pretty ignorant on a lot of the facts - any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Page generated in 0.03359 seconds with 8 queries