Thread: Goals for IDPA
View Single Post
Old October 14, 2004, 02:45 PM   #7
esheato

Visualization is what you need.

Before I shoot a stage, I run through a "movie" of myself shooting the stage exactly as it's designed. I watch myself as many times as necessary to get it right, then a few more.

When it's my turn to shoot, I just replay it in first person, and it's a perfect stage.

I may seem odd when I'm getting ready for a stage, but I'm focused and "in the zone." I'm off to the side, not talking, ears on...concentrating. I don't want to be distracted.

Some other tidbits of information that I like to use. During practice (live or dry) sessions, I like to really push myself...110% of speed. No, I don't get good hits all the time, but come match time, I tell myself to shoot at 90% of my practice speed. The hits come and I'm appreciably faster each month.

What a lot of people don't understand, is that on difficult stages, everyone else has to slow down also. Don't shoot full-speed, slow it down and make the hits count. If your opponents don't slow down, they'll be missing, and a miss is much worse than taking an extra 2/10ths of a second for a perfect sight picture and putting the rounds where you want them.

I'll second GRD when he says to pick a point on the target rather than the entire target. I shoot a lot of steel, and I usually pick a divot or dent in the steel as an aiming point rather than the entire shape of the target.

Ed

Page generated in 0.02582 seconds with 8 queries