Thread: 6.8 SPC Round?
View Single Post
Old April 30, 2019, 09:28 AM   #19
FishinLuke

The 6.8 SPC is still very much alive and well. Personally, I think the advent of the 6.5 Creedmoor really gave the 6.5 Grendel a boost of enthusiasm given the shared caliber, that and the Wolf steel case fodder. With this a lot of new shooters started gravitating towards the Grendel.

The 6.8 SPC was designed for reliability in mind, all one has to take a look at is the case design versus the 6.5 Grendel for one to see. It was an easy choice between the two for me.

The 6.8 SPC hits harder at hunting/SD distances, the 6.5 Grendel has better BC bullets for longer range target work, as the energies at the point the BC's take over doesn't leave much ethicality on game.

Like was mentioned before the 6.8 SPC was designed to be an attempt at a military replacement for the 5.56, so there was a lot of design influences it benefited from in regards to magazine feeding, bolt strength, pressures for military function, etc, etc.

There are too many benefits to the 6.8 SPC for me to over look. But one is right in saying the 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel are very similar ballistically, so why not pick the better design?

20" barrel
90gr Gold Dot pushing 2,950-3,000 fps
110gr Accubond traveling at 2,800+ fps

But this comparison has been beat to death, just choose one that gives you the warm and fuzzies and move on.

Last edited by FishinLuke; April 30, 2019 at 10:03 AM.

Page generated in 0.10791 seconds with 8 queries