View Single Post
Old September 2, 2007, 02:55 PM   #147
BillCA

Thanks Capt Charlie.

The basic purpose I had in bringing up this subject was to find out how many people had actually thought about what to do if they catch someone who appears to be no immediate threat - that is, someone who surrenders.

It is true that trying to clear your house while solo is a bad idea. But I consider that a different subject as here we are talking about doing a "midnight recon" to confirm if the noise was an intruder or simply the cat knocking a book off the coffee table. Was that "thump" you heard in the backyard someone landing on the ground? Or the neighbor's fat Mr. Tomcat jumping from a tree onto the wooden fence? So you got up and checked, there is the person inside, you spot him, point your gun and tell him not to move.

So now what? Well, we've heard from a number of people with a mish-mash of ideas, some good, some not so good and a few that are scary. The essence remains that you now have to control this person until the polizei arrive.

As I see it, you really have just two choices. Carefully direct him out the exit and tell him to get lost... OR ...take control of the situation, prone him out and wait for your local PD to supply reinforcements.

It's one thing to wake up to an odd noise that happens only once or wondering what knocked over the beer can on the kitchen counter. It's quite another thing to wake up and hear someone inside, stumbling over the kid's toys and muttering to themselves.

In the latter case, where you know someone is in the house remember this saying;

Never go looking for trouble, you might find it.

I'm also reminded by a friend and former USMC sniper of his "world view" - No matter how bada** you think you are, there is always someone out there who is better than you.

Keep your commands short and concise.
Remember to avoid tunnel vision - watch for accomplices.
Focus on getting the intruder prone and under control first. Don't engage in a conversation until he's proned out and controlled.

If the subject asks what you intend to do, tell them the truth - I'm going to let the cops take you away. or I'm going to turn you over the the cops.

The two most difficult situations I can think of here are the ultra-nervous guy and the guy who refuses to do anything you tell him.

If you get some nervous buster waiving his arms and pleading not to shoot, you'll have to yell your commands to get through his yammering. But also watch that this isn't a ruse to get closer to you or something to dive behind.

The guy who just stops and doesn't do anything can be more frightening. You can't tell if he is deaf, doesn't understand English, insane, on drugs or testing you to look for an advantage.

Always try to fix their position in relationship to some object. If you see them moving away from that object, even if just by shifting their feet, remind them "If you keep moving, you're going to get shot."

Page generated in 0.02812 seconds with 8 queries