View Single Post
Old March 13, 2013, 05:02 PM   #101
TailGator

Are you aware, NoGun, that firearms restrictions were an important tool of Jim Crow? Any person is more easily oppressed when they cannot effectively defend themselves, whether the oppressor is a government, a mob, a street gang, or an individual of bad intentions.

Firearms are used to take the life of another between 12 and 13 thousand times a year in the US. The most avid gun control groups claim that defensive uses of firearms occur "only" around 65 thousand times a year, around 5 times as often as they are used for a homicide. The Centers for Disease Control estimates that householders use a firearm to defend against an identified home intruder - a rather narrow definition of self defense - around a half a million times a year, or 40 times as often as they are used for a homicide. Papers published in peer-reviewed journals of criminology estimate defensive uses of firearms to number as high as 2 to 2.5 million a year, or 200 times as common as firearms-related homicides.

In answer to your question, "Why do you need a gun?" I have to answer, "Why should I, or any person willing to responsibly own and use firearms, give up such an effective means of defending myself and my family?"

Page generated in 0.03028 seconds with 8 queries