View Single Post
Old October 19, 2012, 08:14 PM   #14
oldandslow

fsc, 10/20/12

There are two ways to pick a mold. First the "I feel lucky" mold where you order a generic mold that is supposed to fit your barrel. It's great if it works out but often you're stuck with a mold which works poorly and gives a lot of frustration.

Then there is the more scientific mold process which involves slugging your barrel (taking a just-oversized round lead ball, lubing it and pounding it through your barrel with a brass rod) to find out its true diameter and then ordering a mold which is 0.001-0.002 inches (1-2 thousandths of an inch) oversize. This gives you a bullet which usually does not need to be resized and saves considerable time. I have four Lee six cavity molds, two tumble-lube type and two conventional lube-groove type. None of the four molds worked optimally so I ordered a mold from www.accuratemolds.com. He makes his molds based on your data and which type of lead alloy you are using. I have four of the AccuarateMolds molds (9mm- 135 grain, .45 230 grain, 44sp. 250 grain, and a 12 gauge 770 grain slug mold) and all work great without sizing. I just pan-lube and load them in the brass

Another great website for lead casting is www.castboolits.gunloads.com. It has a wealth of info and very friendly folks. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

Page generated in 0.02598 seconds with 8 queries