Thread: gun safe
View Single Post
Old June 4, 2007, 10:43 PM   #15
cloudcroft

dralarms,

I have two safes, one (a Liberty) is fairly expensive/fire-rated and I keep guns, silverware, cameras, laptop PC, important documents, fishing reels, etc. in it.

The other is a cheaper safe with no fire-rating (hence no fireseal) for ammo mainly and some power tools (that could be used to TRY to get into either safe if a thief had access to them). I also store lead ingots (for casting bullets/fishing sinkers) in it to weigh it down more. BTW, both 50-cal. and 30-cal. ammo cans fit very nicely in this small Sentry safe with hardly any wasted space.

I MAY get one of those Elite safes (by Stack On) I've seen out on the floor at my local Sports Authority (SA), which does have a 30-minute fire-rating to use for my ammo/tool safe, but I need to have about $600 free for that...don't have it right now. Still, it looks nice and solid, and at 5xx pounds, not TOO heavy to manhandle into place (and bolt down or weigh it down big-time). SA also have a Stack ON 24-gun safe on the floor at $319 -- no fire rating -- that would be nice for "secondary" stuff, too. It weighs less than the Elite so it'd be easier to pick up at the store, get into the back of my SUV and then get it into my apartment. I could probably do the smaller Stack-On by myself, but I'd need help with the Elite.

In short, the expensive stuff is in the better safe, the stuff that is less costly to replace is in the cheaper safe. But even the cheaper safe (bolted down) protects my ammo/tools MUCH better than if they were stored in a box in the closet or on some shelves in the garage (if I had a garage).

-- John D.

Page generated in 0.03534 seconds with 8 queries