View Single Post
Old May 22, 2013, 05:01 AM   #15
HiBC

And,for the history sake,Norma rented reamers to the US gunsmiths to do the .308 and .358 conversions.The market was ammo.

I have a 30-338,essentially the same cartridge.Before I built the rifle,I computer matched velocities and BC's at my hunting altitudes to the Leupold Boone and Crockett reticle.Using a 200 gr Accubond at 2900 fps and a 300 yd zero for crosshair center,I hit the reticle marks to 600 yds,and the windage on the crossbars is good for 12 mph.

I have read the Army Marksmanship Unit used to use the 30-338 for 1000 yd competition.IMO,it has an advantage over the 300 Win Mag for bullet seating room in the magazine.(the 30-338 is a shorter case)

There is one important caution.It is possible the feed rails on your receiver were altered to feed the larger dia magnum cartridge.If so,you may be quite disappointed when all of your standard 30-06 dia cartridges spit out the top of the rifle when you cycle it.

If the receiver has not been altered,go on e-bay and search"1903 springfield bolt".There are plenty,cheap.If you need a scope bolt,there will probably be some.

Very early low number Springfields had some strength/heat treat issues.Boltsfrom this era will have handles tuned straight down.The later bolts show a sweep back.

Look at a Criterion barrel .Thjey are made to be a direct replacement for a Springfield.There is a 1903 and a 1903A3 version.They come nicely threaded and short chambered,parkerized,extractor notch cut,sight details,etc.On an unaltered receiver,itwill come up tight with just a touch more to go to align the witness mark.If the receiver has been faced square,you may have to set it back a thread.

Its not a Kreiger,but Criterion is a subsidiary of Kreiger.Price is under $200.

Last edited by HiBC; May 22, 2013 at 05:12 AM.

Page generated in 0.03136 seconds with 8 queries