View Single Post
Old May 30, 2011, 03:42 PM   #2
Mayor Al

I am a Saiga S-12 owner, and casual shooter, not deeply into shooting research. In theory, the magazine load is the future as I see it. As the state of the art progresses in that direction, several things must happen to make the magazine load work.

1. A more uniform agreement is needed between the states about capacity and shape (drums?). Not very likely, but needed.

2. Easier handling mags to facilitate reloading. I am a bit clumsey, and have a difficult time trying to insert the Mag to my Saiga using only one hand. The Last Round Bolt-open device is vital for that. In most situations, for me, reloading requires two hands.

3. The longer stick Mags are 'gawky' to use. Heavy and they stick out far below the gun making the balance change at a time when change is not good. I speak of the 10 round stick for the Saiga in this case. The 12 rounder is worse.

I carry one 5 round mag in the gun, and two 5 rounders in my shooting vest for feeding time. So far that has worked well for me. Next weekend is Hog Hunt time for us, and we'll see how that load set-up works in a 'combat-hunting situation'.

I do know that I can be well into my second Five-round mag before my companion has his 12 gauge ready to go with his second set of 4 rounds.

Page generated in 0.02447 seconds with 8 queries