View Single Post
Old October 31, 2005, 03:05 PM   #2
The British Soldier

P226

The first thing that you need to know about the P226 is that it is the finest 9mm automatic pistol in the world; designed and built to uncompromising standards of quality and excellence.

Therefore...good choice!

I carried a P226 for 2 years in Northern Ireland on a daily basis in a Bianchi standard ride holster with 2 spare magazines in a mag holder on my belt; the one facet about it was that I never had a stoppage with that pistol - the reliability is phenomenal!

To be honest, the Navy version is a bit of a gimmick. In the UK the Special Boat Service and Special Air Service use SIG P226 for maritime operations; the former climb oil rigs with them and the latter do that, plus crawl up beaches to infiltrate. The SBS had the P226K, which had a K-coat - a polymer protective finish to the slide to stop saltwater corrosion.

As long as you wash it in clean water and spray oil inside, you won't get corrosion.

Here's what SIG say about the P226-9-Navy:

The P226-9-NAVY is produced to the exact specifications of the pistols supplied to Navy SEALs including special corrosion-resistant finish on internal parts, contrast sights, slides engraved with an anchor to designate them as Naval Special Warfare pistols and a certificate of authenticity. For commercial sales the pistol comes with two 10-round magazines. These limited production P226-9-Navy pistols will also carry a special unique “NSW” serial number starting with NSW0001.

The question I guess you want to ask is - am I thinking of splashing around in the sea wearing a P226? For we ordinary folk, the standard one is just fine. They also make a few variants now with picatinny rails to attach lights and with longer barrels if you are allowed to have silencers!

I think many of these are 'sales' points to attract to a wider market; it is very difficult to embelish a fantastic pistol that is a world leader.

Interestingly in the early 90s the P226 was not selling very well; it had emerged from the US Army pistol trials with a bad rap because they shook them apart on vibrating machines - which simulated the multiple shocks of firing thousands of rounds [a test the .45 could pass!]. Intelligent people commented that modern pistols have a few more parts than the .45, and the test was not the cleverest ever invented! In the end of course Beretta told the US that they might lose their Italian bases if they didn't buy their pistol - the Swiss, therefore, were on a losing wicket!

Quite quietly the UK Special Forces tested the P226 & P228 for their purposes [for counter terrorist activities] and replaced their Brownings with these pistols; they also made SIG sign a document forbiding them mentioning that the SAS used their pistols. They could only mention the UK Ministry of Defence as a customer - which lacks the punch.

A UK Newspaper found out and published a front page article showing a P226 under the banner 'SAS get the world's deadliest pistol'. The MOD threw their hand in and allowed SIG to tell its customers that the SAS used their pistols - sales exploded! SIG had to open a new factory in the US to cope with the demand, and that was just from Government customers. You have to ask yourself how many top governmental agencies and law enforcement have the Beretta, and how many were gasping to get their sweaty hands on a SIG!

They aren't cheap, but they are the best.

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains
And the women come out to cut up what remains
Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling.

Page generated in 0.03063 seconds with 8 queries