View Single Post
Old September 5, 2011, 01:24 PM   #1
DG45

Hammer/nipple contact on Rem NMA 58 vs Colt Pattern 1851

I noticed something today about the way the hammer face strikes the nipple caps on my Pietta replica 44 cal. Remington 1858 NMA versus the way the hammer face does that on my Pietta replica of a .36 cal. 1851 Colt Navy pattern revolver.

As I've said before, I believe the Remington is overall the superior gun, however, not every feature is superior, particularly not the hammer, which is awkward to cock and I've noticed when firing it that the knuckle on my "bird" (middle) finger hits the trigger guard every time I cock it, and that gets to be old, pretty quickly.

I also noticed today for the first time that face of the hammer on my NMA replica does not seem strike the nipple flush, but at a sharp angle, while my Colt replica seems to strike the nipples flush or very nearly so.

I wonder if that angled hammer strike will cause nipple damage on the Remington, and maybe some misfires? Hasn't happened yet on mine but I haven't fired it much. It seems like the hammer face could have easily been designed to strike flush, but just wasn't.

I guess I could try to file the hammer face myself to change the angle, but am afraid if I do it may not hit the cap with enough force to ignite the charge.

Has this ever caused anyone problems or is my gun just out of whack?

Page generated in 0.02131 seconds with 8 queries