View Single Post
Old October 3, 2013, 05:05 AM   #17
dayman

As much as I dislike the old "keep your booger-hook of the bang-switch" mantra, it's kind of true.
The only way to get any gun to fire is to pull the trigger. I would guess that most people who have ND's would have them regardless of the pistol.
I like the platform for it's simplicity. I also find that, because I know I can;t rely on some perceived safety net, I'm even more careful. That's the same reason I've started keeping all my guns chambered (but locked in the safe, so the kids can't get to them). I know that if I pick up one of my guns and pull the trigger, it's going to go bang. So, I don't.
I don't think it's a bad thing to be ever-so-slightly nervous when handling a gun. It's a gun after all, and one moment of unsafe handling could cause any number of horrible things to happen.
IMHO it's wen people stop having that little edge of nerves, and start treating guns like toys that they wind up shooting themselves.

One of the very first things any new shooter should be taught - regardless of the gun - is to keep ones finger off the trigger. If the only thing stopping a person from shooting themselves in the leg is that the safety stops the trigger, maybe they shouldn't be handling a gun without supervision. ND's are a shooter issue.

Now, I would agree that guns with relatively light triggers, but without a mechanical safety, may not be the best gun to start a new shooter with (I'd be super-original, and start them with DA/SA revolver in SA). And, I'm certainly not going to say that my preference is somehow more valid than anyone else's.
If you don't like the platform, don't carry it. It's one option out of several - all of which work just fine with the proper training. But, just because you don't care for a given platform doesn't mean it's any less viable an option for someone else.
Personally, I don't care for carrying a 1911 "cocked and locked". It makes me nervous despite knowing it's as safe as any other carry. So, I don't carry a 1911, but I'm not going to claim that there's anything inferior about it. It's Just not for me.

A functioning, ridged holster is important to safely carry virtually any chambered handgun, so I'm going to leave that one alone.

Lastly, the numbers.
It's probably true that more police have ND's with trigger-safety only pistols (TSO's) than other platforms. But - as has been said - that has more to do with the sheer number of police (not all of who are particularly proficient with firearms) that carry them. I imagine if you had the time or desire to do the research you'd find that far more cops don't have ND's with TSO's than don't have ND's with other formats as well.

Page generated in 0.03298 seconds with 8 queries