View Single Post
Old May 6, 2012, 03:36 PM   #20
Lost Sheep

Single stage vs Turret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djbuttolph
Yeah unfortunately I am stuck using Amazon, as I got probably twice the money I would from them as selling them to a local store...I think I'll go with the Classic with Auto indexing, and start with the indexing off till I get the hang of it all! Thanks for all the help guys!
Let me start by saying I am a HUGE fan of the Lee Classic Turret. (But, again, stay away from the Deluxe Turret, as I think you will be unsatisfied with some of its features and REALLY unhappy with its vertical clearance.)

Looking at your list of cartridges
Quote:
I'm loading 204 Ruger, 243 WSSM, and 25-06. Not a ton of the 243 WSSM, or 25-06 but quite a few 204 for prairie dogs/coyotes.
you seem (to me) to be loading for long-range accuracy and probably not more than a couple hundred cartridges at a sitting. Possibly weighing each charge and doing case prep between loading steps?

The Single Stage Classic Cast will probably do you just as well, for less money, as the Classic Turret if my assumptions are correct.

Here is my reasoning:

The Classic Turret shines when doing continuous processing where you put the cartridge case into the press and do all the steps continuously on that one case and pull out the finished cartridge ready to shoot. It can be two to three times as fast as batch processing because you don't remove and reinsert the case from the press multiple times.

I like to load continuous on my turret press because 1) conceptually, loading each cartridge start-to-finish is how I view the process and 2) it is faster.

If I were loading batch for whatever reason, I would probably prefer my single-stage press to the turret.

On a budget, and if you don't anticipate wanting to do larger quantities (need more than 50-60 per hour output) for the foreseeable future, you might find yourself better served by the single stage Lee Classic Cast with the breechlock system than the Lee Turret Press.

It is a REALLY close call, though. The price of the breechlock bushings is almost as much as the turret disks. The versatility of the Turret is undeniable. The price difference is not that much considered in a lifetime of use and if you expect to add handgun cartridges or semi-auto (think .223) rifles to your inventory of arms.

Frankly, with what I know of your needs, I would go dollars to doughnuts that within three years you will own two presses. A Lee Classic Turret and a Single Stage press (I suggest Forster).

I will go further with my predictions.

If you buy the Lee single stage (either one) first, you will add the Lee Classic Turret and be happy for the rest of your life.

If you buy the Lee Classic Turret first, you will add a single stage press later. Quite possibly a Forster. And be happy for the rest of your life. Maybe a little smug, too.

I started this post intending to urge you to the single stage as your first press and wound up questioning my first impulse. The question is THAT close!

Good luck

Lost Sheep

Page generated in 0.02423 seconds with 8 queries