View Single Post
Old December 27, 2011, 01:46 AM   #1
TripHlx

Metals used in firearms manufacture?

Hey guys, I have a question about the materials that are used in making a firearm. I have very little experience with metalurgy, but I do understand some of the basic concepts.

My question is, exactly what steel/other metal alloys are being used in guns today? Are there alloys specifically rated for use in firearms? Rated for specific calibers?

I know from some experience with knives and knifemaking that certain steels are only useful for certain projects, and that the heat treat is as important as the steel itself. Is this also true with firearms?

Could making a firearm at home be as simple as drawing up a design, milling the parts from a billlet, and slapping it all together after some finish work?

The reason I ask is because I have a few ideas for some simple but fun guns that I would like to try building from home.(To my knowledge, this is legal as long as certain rules are followed) I'm doing a lot of research, but thought I might come to you guys for some quick answers, just in case I'm getting in over my head here.

Thanks in advance for any info you guys can give me, and any areas of research you can suggest will be greatly appreciated!

Page generated in 0.02688 seconds with 8 queries