View Single Post
Old April 11, 2011, 11:06 AM   #16
BigJimP

The link to the essay by Jeff Hunter is interesting ...although I don't agree with some of his asessments on guns like Huglu ( which I think are junk ) ...

What isn't written there is why some of these guns are ok / and some of them just don't hold up ..... the quality of the internal components, the quality of the steel, the sturdiness or lack thereof of the barrel to receiver connection, is the point of impact on the barrels set to hit the same spot ( you'd be shocked to find out over 50% might not be - and some are way off ) ....my point is, its not just about fancy wood. The internals /and the steel matter ...

I'm a big Browning Citori fan - and have owned or shot every model of O/U they've made in the last 30 yrs ....but when we use the term "Citori" none of us know what we mean. As an example / the 625 series - is a beautiful gun - but it has way too much drop at heel and comb for many shooters. For me personally, the 425, 525, 625 series beats me up ( pushes the meat in my face against the cheek bone - bruising / breaking skin ) ...so its a horrible $3,000 mistake for me personally. Citori Lightning model -- is their entry level field gun ...and its a great gun / but again a lot of drop at heel and comb ... The guns I shoot Skeet with, sporting clays and bird hunt with is the Citori XS Skeet model with the adj comb in 30" barrels ....the gun I shoot Trap with is the Citori XT Trap in 32" barrels. I can shoot Skeet or Sporting with an XT Trap ...but at 32" barrels and almost 10lbs - its like swinging a big ole sewer pipe out there ...at fast moving left and right targets like sporting and skeet or bird hunting ....so its just not my best option for an all around gun ( and I'm 6'5" and 290 lbs ) ...but its just a little too big and clumsy for fast moving targets left and right vs Trap - where its a great gun.

In Mr Hunters essay - he uses the term Citori generically .../ and thats too general / there are too many models - and they're way too different to be that general in my opinion.

Page generated in 0.03127 seconds with 8 queries