View Single Post
Old January 17, 2010, 08:53 PM   #1
MCab

Carrying experience

Got my CCW, and I now carrying my weapon. I don't usually carry during the day M-F because my school has a no-gun policy. So I usually carry at night, or during the day on the Saturdays and Sundays.

I carry a Sigma in .40 and I usually have an OWB holster (DeSantis Speed Scabard), but over the break I bought a Galco IWB holster. I've heard they aren't the best, and the leather is light, but it does the job and now I use that one mainly.

Occasionally, I carry an extra mag in a velcro-nylon holster. Not the best, but I've trained with it and can reload quickly. That holster is if I'm going to some serious areas, which I normally try to avoid.

Things I've learned/noticed:

1) I've learned to plan ahead. What to say when someone runs into it, where I can/can't carry, where to put my keys, cell, etc in what pockets, what clothes to where, what to do if cops talk to me, etc.

I was playing video games with my little cousins. One of them bumped into it, and asked what was that. I told him it was my medicine pump. I found out later that his mom has one too.

Oh, and I had to make sure that I am always the low-hugger!

2) Family members and friends are almost entirely supportive. Mom was nervous, but now she appreciates it. Dad was proud.

My brother, whom I rode 9 hours with back home with his wife and baby, demanded that I keep it unchambered (he's got the same pistol, but in 9mm!). He's got a baby so now he's the nervous father. After arguing with him that it doesn't go off unless you squeeze the trigger and that I'm better trained than most armed professionals (+30 hrs of training), I verbally agreed, but chambered anyway. No way he'd know anyway. Geez, never thought I'd get peacekeeper-like ROA's from my own brother!

I also stayed with other friends, and told a buddy of mine and his gf that I've been packing the whole time, but I've got a lockable case with me (airport). No freakouts, they liked it actually. She tells me that she had hers, wants to get it again, but is worried about getting a gun b/c of her kid. I sent her a link for some biometric safes.

3) I'm still conscientious about it, but have only been nervous one time. I put too much thought on it, but had to calm myself down remembering nobody's looking.

4) I'm more comfortable strapped than not. I almost feel naked without it.

Page generated in 0.02903 seconds with 8 queries