View Single Post
Old January 20, 2009, 05:38 PM   #15
kle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73flyby
My Ruger Competition has the 6-7/8 barrel. It was my first target style pistol, and I considered the sight radius as an advantage for open sights. I didn't have enough experience with it to know that the extra weight would be a detriment, especially with the addition of the red dot. But I won't have it cut it down. It has a purpose, but I think that purpose is better suited for open sight shooting. When I'm really compelled to deal with the weight issue, I'll get another pistol. And I'll likely keep the Ruger, at least until I'm convinced that I won't be shooting open sights any more.
The heavier barrel will help to absorb some of the recoil, even with a red-dot sight on top. Yes, even a .22 has recoil. More than that, the heavier barrel will absorb some of the forces of the bolt slamming back and forth in the Ruger--if you shoot enough, you can feel this on every shot; you can also feel when the bolt doesn't close, either after the last round or if there's been a jam.

That said, my Ruger KMK678GC (stainless "Competition Target" model w/ slab-side 6-7/8" bull barrel) is still pretty heavy with a dot on top...almost heavier than I'd like. My Ruger MK512 (blued "Target" model w/ 5-1/2" bull barrel) is probably better-suited to having a red-dot mounted (or really, better balanced all-around).

Page generated in 0.03290 seconds with 8 queries