View Single Post
Old November 15, 2015, 11:15 PM   #32
Screwball

My view with how the original poster worded the question (related to shotguns)... slug gun shoots slugs, and a field gun shoots shot. [emoji41]

In regards to hunting shotguns, I own two Remington 11-87s. One I leave with a smoothbore barrel with removable choke tubes. Depending on how I'm hunting, I use it for deer and whatever bird is in season. At the worst, I can change its role with changing out a choke tube.

The other is my dedicated slug gun. 21" rifled barrel with a 1.75-5x scope on it. That is used when I'm sitting in a tree stand for deer (if I got a bear tag, I'd use it). Legality wise, I am not allowed to hunt with a shotgun that has a bead sight and have slugs in my possession (NJ law). If it has rifle sights or some type of optic, it is ok for slugs. That is pretty much why I separate the two, since it is distinct on which one I need for which role.

My 11-87s are both 3" guns, so if need be, I could swap barrels between either of them. My slug gun does have a slightly longer smooth barrel with choke tubs, and a smoothbore with rifle sights. Both sit in a silicon sock, in a separate container... as I don't need them.

Page generated in 0.03348 seconds with 8 queries