View Single Post
Old December 14, 2013, 09:14 PM   #11

TXJohn, do a search for 9mm OAL, OCL, COAL, OACL etc. It is best to establish OACL with the bullet you're using from the pistol it's to be fired from. If you don't find something that helps, shoot me a PM. It's easy to do with cast and plated and really easy when you use jacketed bullets.

Of what you have, Unique is probably the best all-around choice but accurate loads can be easily done with HP38/W231. I've loaded thousands of 9mm rounds with Blue Dot. It is a Max. effort powder that works best when loaded warm with compressed charges. It's capable of performance beyond what your plated bullets are rated for.

I prefer spherical powders that are just slower than Unique. If you can find True Blue, it will do well in any cartridge you load it in and particularly 9mm and .40 S&W. It's very dense and fine grained so it meters at least 100% better than Unique while being more uniform ballistically. The other powder I'd recommend is the one I use in my defense handloads and that's Silhouette. It's treated to have low flash and is very well suited to 9mm, especially if you want to replicate factory loads. Plenty of good data for cast, plated and jacketed bullets at www.ramshot.com. Download the data while you're there and if you request it, they'll send you a printed version that offers good tips on reloading as well.

Page generated in 0.02370 seconds with 8 queries