View Single Post
Old October 28, 2012, 12:24 AM   #58
Cheapshooter

Just got done with a little experiment using my Glock 20SF. It was mentioned in an earlier post that Glock says NOT to load the gun with a topped off magazine. A statement which I could not find in the owners manual. With a fully loaded magazine, and the slide forward (in battery) the magazine went into the mag well without resistance to a point about 3/16 inch from being fully inserted, and licked by the magazine release catch. A small amount of extra pressure fully seated the magazine. I withdrew the magazine, and removed one round. The magazine again stopped at the same point, and an amount of pressure equal to that of the first time was needed to fully seat the magazine. I removed yet another round, now making it a 13 round magazine with the same result. then 12, 11, and 10 rounds. finally I removed all but ONE round from the magazine and guess what? THE SAME EXACT PRESSURE NEEDED TO SEAT THE MAGAZINE AS WITH A FULLY LOADED MAG!
Kinda makes me think that any concern of excess pressure on the top round of a fully loaded magazine was taken into consideration by the engineers who designed the gun! In that line of thought I ask just how would the dimension between the notch, or slot caught by the magazine release, and the top of a round in the magazine held by the feed lips on the mag change with more cartridges in the magazine. regardless of spring pressure, that dimension should be the same. It obviously is on my Beretta as proven by my experiment.

Getting late, bed time now. Tomorrow I'll try the same thing with my Beretta 92fs. Another gun that in the specifications only listed the magazine capacity, not the gun capacity as XX+1
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!

Page generated in 0.03896 seconds with 8 queries