View Single Post
Old October 12, 2012, 01:38 PM   #31
Romeo 33 Delta

FAMAS ... thanks for jumping in. As a life-long Milsurp collector, I love all my children. My French Family has some very interesting and very accurate members. Coming to mind is my Mle-1886 M-27 which will shoot to point of aim at 100 yards and stay under 3" if I can keep my concentration up (at 67, it's getting more difficult) as it has GREAT sights. My Italian Family is capable of doing the same kind of work if I use the CORRECT sized bullets and the CORRECT sight picture.

Kraigwy ... I too respect my rifles and pistols ... avoid corrosive surplus and just reload. I find I can make a more accurate load, temper it for my old shoulder so I can keep shooting, and avoid the danger of "cranky, old ammo of dubious manufacture and more dubious storage". Besides ... reloading for them is FUN! Over the years, it's been a hoot having someone come up to me while shooting at the range and ask what I'm shooting. Then, when even more surprised that I was able to find ammo, I get to tell them that no, it's not old military ... it's home grown. THAT gets their attention.

I've found that unless the firearm has been completely crapped out, even ugly bores can be surprisingly accurate and that aside, I've not met a military rifle that won't do the job in the accuracy department, given the CORRECT sized bullet and understanding that you are shooting a battle rifle ... not a target rifle. If feel the need for 1 to 1 1/2" at 100 yards with iron sights and old eyes ... buy a target rifle with aperture sights front and rear.

Page generated in 0.02255 seconds with 8 queries