View Single Post
Old July 5, 2013, 02:41 PM   #60
Poindexter

I would guess I am at about $1500-2000 for actual gear. I started reloading with about $500 of gear in 2008 at 2008 prices.

I don't count expendables like primers, and etc; that is ammunition cost. I have saved enough on ammunition by buying primers and so on instead that my reloading gear has paid for itself many times over.

I am running 3000-4000 rounds annually through currently a single stage Rock Crusher. I have worn out two of the smaller "Partner" presses over the years, but they both had paid for themselves many times over. I would like to add a Dillon 550 for high volume pistol, but I don't have bench space for one.

Looking back, I am very glad I splurged on a nice electronic scale in the first place, no telling how many balance beam scales I could have wrecked by now. I hardly ever use my RCBS casemaster, it would have been better to buy a six-pack, take my problem to a buddy's bench and save the hundred bucks. I also have the electronic powered "case prep station" or some such. I useit every once in a great while, but it is mostly back in its box on a shelf.

Besides the excellent powder scale, my next favorite, most used component is the powder filler for the Dillon 550. It is just like any of the other name powder throwers, but it has 7/8-14 threads on it and I can charge a host of calibers with three funnels. I have caliber specific funnels for .22 rifle, .308 rifle and .500 S&W - as parts of the 550B caliber conversion kits for .223Rem, .338Fed and 500Smith. Charging .38Special and .45Colt in particular is no problem.

With .38 and .45 I prime and bell using the belling die in one step, and then use the "wrong" size funnel for charging on a second pass through the press. Then seat and crimp on the last pass.

Page generated in 0.02592 seconds with 8 queries