View Single Post
Old June 28, 2013, 04:23 PM   #13
fastbolt

If you're going to use cover, use cover.

Leaving a knee/leg sticking out from the vertical boundary of barricade/cover is inviting aimed fire and/or simple bad luck. If the weapon's muzzle is running roughly centerline of your body, and the muzzle can "see" the intended threat target, and one of your well balanced legs/knees are sticking out away from the vertical cover/no-cover boundary ... you might wish you'd leaned a bit more from behind the cover.

This is something some folks forget when shooting over a cover/barricade, too. Why expose more of yourself than necessary? Shooting over the top of a corner/outside edge of cover doesn't make not bothering to tuck that one support leg behind cover any less risky.

If you intended for the fixtures in the drill to only be "cover", though ... FWIW, I try to treat "concealment" the same as cover, even if I suspect it might not stop incoming rounds. Might as well work it for everything possible ... and it may really be concealment, after all ... and it never hurts to reinforce good practices to the extent possible.

If this was supposed to be an advanced class of students, why no shooting-while-moving?

Just my thoughts. Not saying any of us are always going to do everything right or advantageous under any & all circumstances.

Creating & running scenario drills gives us the chance to simulate known or expected circumstances; test the skillset & understanding of tactics of our students (and ourselves); and look for potential better ways to do things.

Just some thoughts.

Page generated in 0.02336 seconds with 8 queries