View Single Post
Old April 17, 2012, 03:20 PM   #1
Kayser

I almost hate to post this but : crimp question.

I know this thread will immediately diverge from the intent, but here's my question.

- I reload 44 magnum for a desert eagle. Hence I do -not- want to roll crimp the round. This causes noticeable feeding issues and is just a bad idea for a huge automatic like this.

- I looked at getting a real 44 magnum taper crimp die. But the description is thoroughly baffling "The Lee Taper Crimp Die is hardened steel designed to overcome crimp problems caused by poor die design. These dies offer little or no advantage when used with 1986 or newer Lee dies as the crimp angle is already a modified taper crimp. Jacketed bullets must have a crimp groove (cannelure)."

Ok, so the factory crimp die I have already roll crimps so I don't know how they can say it offers "little or no advantage" - I don't want a roll crimp, I want a taper crimp like the die name would seem to imply. Second, why would a taper crimp die say "jacketed bullets must have a crimp groove" ???

This is just baffling to me. I just want to taper crimp the rounds, not roll crimp. Why is finding the equipment for this so dang confusing.

Page generated in 0.02600 seconds with 8 queries