View Single Post
Old January 8, 2012, 11:41 AM   #61
buck460XVR

603Country, warbirdlover....like it or not, hunting in a box, sittin' next to a Mr. Heater IS "new age hunting". Same with sittin' over bait. 45 years years ago there was no such thing as a Mr. Heater, nor did folks build big box stands to sit in. One was lucky to be able to keep their hands warm for an extra hour or two with one of those lighter fluid hand warmers, if you could stand the smell. 45 years ago folks didn't consider baiting ethical, nor was it even legal in most states for hunting deer. I remember in the old days when a "salt lick" was a dirty word in hunting camps. Nowadays comfy hunting blinds with heat and even TV sittin' over a bait pile or food plot is the norm. Gotta pour a coupla gallons of "C'meer Deer" or "Deer CoCain" on the ground just for good measure. While it is still considered hunting for many, if you two really did hunt the way you claim in your "old days", you know it does not compare as far as quality of hunt. It is more of a shoot. IMHO, Hunting is actively seeking your prey....not teaching it to come to you. Have you earned the right to hunt like that? Sure you have, so have I, but it don't mean I don't still try to get in some time hunting the old fashioned way. Us old farts can sit in our plywood boxes and reminisce about wading thru the swamps and catching a buck sleeping on a little patch of highground. Unfortunately many younger hunters will never experience this, as box hunting is all they've ever done. Same is why they can't find their way outta the woods without a GPS, cause they never have had to. Same reason they don't think they can make it into their box 200 yards into the woods without a 4 wheeler. Sheese...... that's a long way to walk, much less drag a deer! Hunting using skills as opposed to bait and high tech feeders and game cams is a lost art to most.....and it's sad. That was my rant.

Page generated in 0.02252 seconds with 8 queries