View Single Post
Old August 2, 2011, 11:58 AM   #6
32 Magnum
Member In Memoriam

Magnum Wheel Man,
Nice catch at a very good price. That one is a 1st Model 1st Variation "SHELL EXTRACTING" aka "MANUAL EJECTOR". I've got two examples in my collection, in about the same condition. These are fairly rare, as you know - not many show up for sale. Made approximately 1883 - 1887 or '88.
There is a 2nd Model, made after 1890 and has a redesigned frame, taking the H&R patented TARGET LOGO grip panels and a slightly different ejector rod. This one is very rare - I've only seen one and it is in my collection.
What was not known, at least to Bill Goforth and me, until last fall (before Bill's passing in Jan.) is that there is a 1st Model 2nd Variation - and that is what was offered in the auction that you cited starting at $199. That variation has the outward appearance of the 1st Variation but lacks the two guide rods on either side of the extractor rod. This variation was only known from one other example, this one being the 2nd - I got it for $230 +$10 S&H - I'd been watching it for months, watching the opening price dropping. I had to have it to add to the other manual ejectors. The most noticeable difference between the Mod 1 Var 1 is that the Mod 1 Var 2 has the addition of the Oct.4th 1887 patent date to the barrel top rib stamping, while retaining the pre-1890 "floral" pattern grip panels on the older grip frame.
I'm glad you're happy with your acquisition and thanks for not bidding me up on the other piece.
IMG_1734.jpg

IMG_3006.jpg

IMG_3031.jpg

Page generated in 0.03754 seconds with 9 queries