View Single Post
Old January 11, 2009, 11:49 PM   #2
banditt007

rifled slugs also known as foster slugs are made to be shot in smooth bore barrels (non-rifled barrels). so provided both those barrels you have are smooth bore... which they very well should be...there is no problem

you'll have to play around w/ chokes to see what shoots best but in general people like the cylinder bore (no choke) or improved cylinder..which is still a very open choke. slugs aside from specialized very hard ones (like dixie slugs) are fine to shoot in chokes up to full. nothing tighter than that, like no turkey chokes/extra full ect. however usually best accuracy will not be realized. as well as you will have a good bit of lead build up on the choke. those riflings on the slug itself will deform and squish down as it passes through the choke. thats what they are there for! not to induce spin. they act like a weight forward dart in flight.

slugs should shoot fine from either barrel. 18" would be fine. remember that the velocity gain after about 14" from a shotgun is minimal so 18" or 28" isnt going to be a huge difference in speed.

i'd personally start w/ the 18" barrel and see how that goes and after you've exhausted different choke sizes and brands of slugs then i'd try the same for the 28" barrel if you arent seeing results you like.

i'd start out w/ testing the breneke K.O. slugs as well as the federal TRUBALL slugs. those are two slugs known for USUALLY producing the best groups. take note on the power of the true ball slug though. while good at 50 yards its performance drops off faster than most slugs.

as i said above w/ slugs its all 'what your gun likes' so you just gotta get out there and tenderize the shoulder w/ diff brands/types of slugs (all rifled/foster slugs) and different chokes. as see what shoots best and stick w/ it!

Page generated in 0.02525 seconds with 8 queries