View Single Post
Old November 3, 2005, 03:08 AM   #66
losangeles

Quote:
to read some guy who says you had to be NFL lineman big, linebacker fast and bulky clearly does not know what he is talking about. Muscles that size are pure calorie burners. Do you really know what the calorie count is for a guy who is 290 and doing that kind of wieght work?

I was the one who mentioned football type of numbers, but I'm being misquoted. If you go back to that post, I mentioned fitness associated with the positions of running backs, receivers, safeties, outside linebackers (not inside -- there's a difference). DEFINITELY NOT LINEMEN! I've found that athletic fit guys with a good combination of attributes range in the 190 - 225 lb range. Not 290. Those guys will not come close to running 4.6 40 yd dash, for example, and may have a hard time with the endurance numbers I proposed.

I never mentioned the need for mass, for bulkiness, although I expressed the need for strength and power. As well as endurance and stamina. You will be surprised in that a 400 lb bench press is possible for a guy 190 - 225 lbs without the muscleman mass. Although I didn't approach those bench numbers until later in life, I was always strong but not massive, which had to be since I was boxing during that time (mid-20's). BTW, heavy benchers in the 198 lb division, and to some extent 220 lb division, don't necessarily have that type of mass as the 242ers and above.

In one-on-one close quarters unarmed combat, a 160-lb man is going to get out-physicalled by a 210-lb man of equal fitness and ability. I've found that the 190-225 lb range (give or take) doesn't sacrifice as much in speed (talking about very good athletes here) versus the 160-lb guys, whereas the latter will be sacrificing much in strength and power.

At the same time, the 190-225 lb range (good athletes again) can match up closely in strength to the 290 lb guys (because of diminishing returns on the body mass) and usually blow the bigger guys away with speed and quickness (talking about good athletes, again).

If you don't believe me, watch some wrestlers practicing across different weight divisions (only during practice). Also, see how a middleweight boxer practices against a heavyweight. (Again there will be exceptions.) You will observe that a 200 lb boxer can make a good showing against much heavier heavyweights, and usually manhandles any 165-pounder who wants to spar with him in the gym.

From my experience, the 190-225 lb top level athlete (note - there are always exceptions), who shouldn't be massive and bulky, is in the optimal range to take on the smaller guys and the bigger guys. And remember --- I never said "bulky" and "massive"; but they need to be strong.

Page generated in 0.03465 seconds with 8 queries