View Single Post
Old December 6, 2002, 02:51 PM   #5
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

All .223 AR variants with one AR-10 (.308).

Two students used ACOGs with the 6 MOA dot. Great for close-in work, but the dot obscured the target at 200-300 yards with resultant lack of accuracy. IMO the 4 MOA triangle would be better. Better still may be the new open chevron reticle.

One class member using an EOTech sight had hit and miss results (no pun intended). Also, the batteries started failing during the night shoot portion of the class.

Other students had variable and fixed power glass. Great at distance, but a bit slower up close.

Only three of us (myself included) had dedicated lights on our carbines. Although three different techniques were taught how to use a hand-held light, others in the class saw the benefit of a dedicated light for CQB-type work.

While attending a school I always regret not using knee/elbow pads. But for me at least, they change my shooting position enough in the sitting and braced kneeling positions they I would just as soon do without them. Also, when going prone or to double knees, I don’t want to condition myself to going down real hard. If ever forced to do it on the street, (read concrete) I may crack a kneecap. And, since a big part of staying in the fight is movement, I prefer not to lose that option. Train like you fight, fight like you train…

Equipment Failures:
One rifle stopped working due to broken a gas ring. Another student had a bag of spare parts and replaced it. One rifle stopped running mid-way through the first day due to lack of lubrication because the owner had been informed by his local "expert" that ARs like to run dry. One student had a 30-round USA mag that would not work (gasp). I fixed it for him by throwing it in the trash can.

Denny

Page generated in 0.03081 seconds with 8 queries