View Single Post
Old June 13, 2012, 03:57 PM   #13
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't claim to the be world's greatest eggspurt on Colts and I agree with Dafariswheel that working on them can be interesting, to say the least,
but I really don't see how the ratchet can cause throwby. The way the Colt is designed, the cylinder will always throw by unless the bolt stops it, as the second step of the hand is set up to maintain pressure on the ratchet even after the cylinder stops. That can be changed, but then the gun won't have that "bank vault" lockup that Colt was famous for.

So if a Colt throws by, the bolt (cylinder stop) is either not coming up, is not coming up fast enough, or is not fitting into the cylinder notch. The second condition is sometimes seen when firing very fast, but the strong spring in the bolt (unless weakened) will usually ensure that the bolt snaps up with authority. When only one notch is involved, it is probable that that notch is too narrow or is being blocked, for example by metal displaced by the bolt itself or from some other damage. If the bolt fits properly into the other notches, then the bolt should not be narrowed; the better approach is to VERY CAREFULLY widen that one notch.

This does not mean to get out the Dremel tool, the big grinder and the double bit axe. Working on those Colts (especially a Python) is not for the ham-handed or the amateur.

So, I will second Harry Bonar - send it back to Colt.
Jim

Page generated in 0.03327 seconds with 8 queries