View Single Post
Old November 28, 2018, 09:53 AM   #30
Driftwood Johnson

Your experince with pan lubing was pretty much the same as mine. I was pan lubing regular hard cast bullets, but they did not carry enough lube to keep the bore of a rifle coated with soft lube for its entire length. So I was adding lube cookies and all that stuff. That is when I discovered Big Lube bullets. If you check out the J/P 45-200 bullet, I designed that one. At the time the only option for 45 Colt was the 250 grain PRS bullet.

Good Luck with that Lyman Lube Sizer.

I was using an RCBS lube sizer for a while. It works pretty much the same as the Lyman. It did not squeeze out enough lube to fill those big lube grooves, so I had to run each bullet through it twice. After the first shot I would raise up the bullet and rotate it about 45 degrees or so and shove it down again so the lube would fill up the voids left by the first shot.

The other thing I dd not like about the RCBS lubesizer was you have to raise the bullets up after lubing them. After casting hundreds of bullets I would spend a few hours lubing and sizing them all.

So I bought a Star lubesizer made by Magma. Yes, it is more expensive than the RCBS lubesizer, but it is more efficient. One shove through the die is enough to completely fill the huge lube groove of a Big Lube bullet. In addition, you don't raise the bullet up to remove it after it has been lubed. Each bullet pushes the previous one out the bottom of the die. As an old friend said, it just keeps pooping out lubed and sized bullets.

After I bought the Star lubesizer I was no longer spending hours lubesizing my bullets.

Here is a link to the Star lubesizer. I was not using the heater attachment, SPG lube is soft enough to flow at room temperature.

http://www.magmaengineering.com/magma-star-lube-sizer/

Page generated in 0.04206 seconds with 8 queries