View Single Post
Old November 7, 2014, 02:47 PM   #27
carguychris

Fastfr8r, for the purposes of this discussion, you can ignore everything after the word "Provided". Those provisions only apply when you travel by air, water, rail, or highway respectively, accompanied by a firearm that belongs to you. (FWIW handing the firearm to a counter clerk or station agent accomplishes the same thing under law as personally notifying the "pilot, captain, conductor or operator", as that person will be given a cargo manifest. Transport regulations are often phrased this way.)

I'll strip some of the legalese out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguychris Paraphrasing 27 CFR 478.31(a)
No person shall knowingly deliver... [a firearm] to any common or contract carrier for... shipment... to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector... without written notice... that [a] firearm... is being... shipped.
IOW the notification requirement applies when the firearm is NOT being shipped to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector.

Please note that I'm only writing about the requirements under federal law. State and local law and the carrier's policies may impose additional requirements.

[Mandatory disclaimer: I am not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV. This is not legal advice. Caveat emptor and YMMV.]

Last edited by carguychris; November 7, 2014 at 04:08 PM. Reason: IANAL disclaimer

Page generated in 0.02502 seconds with 8 queries