View Single Post
Old July 2, 2000, 10:06 PM   #3
PJR

My area is shotgun only for deer so scoped shotguns are pretty common. 4x is the absolute maximum you'll use and I prefer a lower variable 1x-4x or a fixed 2.5x, both Leupolds. I hunted one year with a Bushnell Holosite and there was nothing wrong with it but I prefer using a scope. I've put a fair number of rounds through my scoped guns and never had a failure.

Accuracy varies but in my guns I've found Brenneke slugs to be best with Remington in second place but each gun is different. I prefer smooth bore because I like 000 buckshot if I am dogging in heavy brush but use slugs if I'm on the stand. Zero is an iffy thing because the barrel is not solidly fixed to the receiver in most cases. A common remedy is to drill and tap a set screw into the receiver and barrel to anchor the barrel. This is not something I have done because I am reasonably satisfied with my gun's performance as is. (Incidentally, the most accurate slug gun I've ever seen was a Browning A-Bolt with a rifled barrel that put three Federal sabots into a cloverleaf at 100 yards.) Ballistics with a slug gun are not great. I zero for 75 yards and pass on shots over 100 and won't use buckshot for anything over 25. Once the gun is zeroed I try not to take it apart until the season is over. If I must remove the barrel, it's back to the bench to check zero. When you are shooting slugs from the bench, you try and keep the zeroing to an absolute minimum.

[This message has been edited by PJR (edited July 02, 2000).]

Page generated in 0.03379 seconds with 8 queries