View Single Post
Old October 23, 2008, 05:45 PM   #4
Stevie-Ray

The Neighborhood Watch is an excellent tool to even get your neighbors to be "nosey" about what goes on around them. When we set up ours, (I started it, so I inevitibly got elected Captain) everybody from the block was invited to a meeting in my basement, where the liaison police officer told everybody the dos and don'ts/ins and outs of a successful watch. Armed with statistics from crime reports from our area, I can tell you he raised a few eyebrows. There was a lot of "are you kidding me?" and "I had no idea" coming from the crowd of mostly non-gunnies. It helped. Our crime level has dropped off to practically nothing but a few petty thefts and tire punctures. Before that, it was auto thefts, B&Es, and even drug busts, so I'm convinced it works.
Our Neighborhood Patrol Watch is a seperate entity from the Neighborhood Watch, and as was said, disarms you even if you are properly licensed, so I don't and won't participate in that, though I did it once. I've been asked every year at Halloween time and give them my reason why not. They understand.

Just call your local PD for info. But you'll be Captain, trust me.

Page generated in 0.03359 seconds with 8 queries