View Single Post
Old August 18, 2008, 05:18 PM   #25
Flyboy_451

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum, but this thread caught my attention as I have been an amateur radio op. since I was thirteen. While amateur radio does indeed provide for an effective means of communications, there are a few things, with regard to the original post to keep in mind.

Colin was looking for a means of comms. specifically for family and his girlfriend. Amateur radio, requiring a license, would require each person he wanted to be able to contact directly, to be licensed. Granted, during an emergency, it is legal to use any radio frequency and mode to establish comms., the FCC narrowly defines an emergency as an immediate threat to life or property.

Also keep in mind that during an emergency, local hams frequently mobilize to provide assistance with communications. A person that got their license "just in case" could easily cause interference to emergency communications already in progress, by being unfamiliar with radio capabilities and procedures. Untrained operators can really cause havoc in an emergency setting.

None of this is meant to say that someone should not pursue the amateur radio service out of a personal interest to what it has to offer. I have been active in the hobby for a number of years, and would encourage anyone to investigate it for themselves. But for someone to get their technician class license, and then not further their knowledge level both through study and on-the-air experience, because they only got their license "just in case", invites trouble where it already exists in a disaster stricken area.

GMRS offers many of the same advantages as a 70 centimeter radio, as used within amateur radio, does. Maximum allowed power for GMRS is 50 watts. This is actually a higher power rating than many amateur radios possess. Many areas have repeaters available to extend the range of mobiles. There is no test required to get a GMRS license. Many GMRS radios are also equipped to communicate on FRS frequencies, and it is legal to do so, as long as the pwer requirements for FRS are observed. I am not sure what the licensing fee is, but I am pretty sure that it is modest. All in all, for personal radio communications, GMRS is a pretty good choice.

Justin

Page generated in 0.02293 seconds with 8 queries