View Single Post
Old December 28, 2017, 10:04 AM   #17
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E Meyer
The issue is very simple. Gun rights are not a priority of the GOP establishment. That's all there is to it.
That's terribly facile in a couple of ways. What is the GOP "establishment"? "Establishment" is a pejorative so vague that I question its utility. The officeholders are established at each election. The officers of the party organizations are closely tied to those winning candidates.

Only a year ago, the "GOP establishment" lost the GOP nomination process. That doesn't speak to very firm establishment. I deal with this construction from the other political direction; people who see Ryan and McConnell as "establishment" traitors because a writer didn't see everything he wanted passing. It's too simple from that directions as well.

Quote:
In fact, in private they probably oppose expansion of gun rights as guns in the hands of the masses are a challenge to the money stuffed elites.
Other than a signal that you are willing to attribute hypocrisy to people you think you dislike, there is little to this assertion. There are officeholders who speak in support of 2d Am. issues cynically. One way to tell who those are is to see how they vote when these matters come up for a vote. Does the office holder act to frustrate the measure or protect and support it?

Quote:
Such social issues are used as bait and switch for voters.
Thomas Frank recycled Marxist false consciousness theory for that nugget. I'm surprised people still use it.

There is an alternate explanation that doesn't require identifying just the people one opposes as too stupid to know what they like. Ordinary people in many places may both doubt the ability of government to address their financial anxieties in a productive way, and may also be genuinely repelled by political projects that are aimed at dismantling legal and social conventions that may reflect their moral conclusions.

One of those moral conclusions may be that people have a right to be armed.

Quote:
If comprehensive gun rights legislation was passed, the issue would be lost as a fund raising bogey man.
I don't think history supports that. So long as someone in congress wants to ban a rifle if it has a shoulder thing that goes up, or in a moment of candor admits that she hopes a partial control becomes a ban, you'll have a reasonably held fear that a political movement is a danger to a civil liberty. That doesn't evanesce just because ther is a legislative victory. If CCW laws are a guide, passing reforms may solidify a sense that restrictive regulation is the pet of hysterics.

Quote:
Tin foil on my part - perhaps. But listened to the leadership talk about priorities - they never mention gun legislation.
What were they addressing in SHARE?

Page generated in 0.04001 seconds with 8 queries