View Single Post
Old October 11, 2001, 02:02 PM   #17
ChuteTheMall

carabiners

Carabiners are useful for many things besides climbing and knuckle-dusting.
For years I kept one on my dog's leash, made a quick way to secure it to almost anything. With nylon webbing (more climbing gear) it's the quickest way to secure something to a boat or canoe, or to secure a canoe to a tree. No knots to untie.
All my backpacks and daybacks have a 'biner or two attached.

The GI surplus ones are the heaviest, and cheapest, because for most purposes lighter is better. But I always used Chouinard, Black Diamond, REI, etc.
If you leave a locking model under salt water too long, you might need pliers to open it. Even the "mariner" models.

When I needed to step off the trail for a minute with free hands to take care of urgent business, I just dropped my pack and clipped the dog to it.

When a friend got his truck stuck at the bottom of a surprisingly short boat ramp, two biners and 15' of webbing made a quick tow strap to haul it out. That really tightened the knots, but the 'biners made it easy to disconnect the tow vehicle.

The more you carry and use carabiners everyday, the less they will feel like weapons instead of common tools.

Page generated in 0.03184 seconds with 8 queries