View Single Post
Old March 12, 2014, 01:26 PM   #1
kevdrums

want the a400 xcel to work

I'm in the market for a sporting clays shotgun. I owned a Benelli Cordoba, then sold it to free up funds for house expenses, and now I'm ready to purchase another shotgun. I've had my eye on the Beretta a400 Xcel, and have shouldered them side by side with the Benelli.
When I shoulder a regular a400 Xcel, it is not cast enough so the mid bead and front bead are not in line. When I shoulder the Benelli, perfect. I have since been able to shoulder an a400 Xcel parallel, and while the beads are now in line, there appears to be about a half inch between the mid bead and the front bead vertically.
I shouldered the Maxus as well to make sure Benelli wasn't the only one that fit, and it fit nicely as well. So why do the Berettas not fit? Has anyone else had this issue? My guess is the stock on the a400 Xcel is thicker than other guns, making the cast an issue, as the Parallel gets thinner as the comb rises making it more like other stocks. I was hoping the raised rib would compensate for the raised comb on the Parallel making that one work, but no such luck.
I liked my Cordoba and will buy it again if need be, but I would like to give the a400 Xcel a chance if I hear that the shims can modify it enough to work. Has anyone had experience with these guns and had the same issues as myself? Any other sporting clays guns to look into? I have my FFL so I have the luxury of having the ability to sell what I don't like and try out different guns, but don't keep a stock so I can't just order one of each. Any help and advice is appreciated!

Page generated in 0.03497 seconds with 8 queries