View Single Post
Old August 9, 2013, 08:07 PM   #4
Sevens

Quote:
There is something to be said for owning guns that you don't have to fret so much over.
I couldn't agree more.

However:
Quote:
I prefer well worn guns because IMHO the wear tells a story.
Problem I have with that is that if I didn't put all the wear on there, or the person who did never shared the tales with me, it's not telling me a story. It's showing me there is a story to be told, but it cannot tell me the story. I can only guess at what the story is. And I just hope the story isn't "I sat under a pair of boxer shorts for 40 years in the top drawer of a dresser in a dank room"

I prefer well-worn guns when I am shopping for guns, because I would so much rather pay less and get more, because like most of you -- what I truly want is to shoot them.

And a worn gun is terrific because I don't have to worry a bit about adding more wear to it. I posted in a very recent thread about the circa 1917 Fourth Change I just found that is four years older than my Grandfather's revolver, and I jumped all over it 3 weeks ago because I so very much wanted a gun I could shoot...so I don't have to shoot my Grandfather's gun.

I have shot my Grandfather's gun. I enjoy it so much more to have, to own, to look at and dwell on -- and I don't have any desire to chip away (more) at the already chipping nickel plating. So this one I just bought that I have no (otherwise) attachment to is going to get shot a lot. I'm loving it already.

As to the very interesting topic here -- I can truly see it both ways. I picked up a '28 Woodsman at a shop one year ago. Functionally, it's 100% and I love that dang thing. But it doesn't have much finish left. If it had a lot of finish, I wouldn't have been able to justify the price tag. Because it's so worn, it was a fine price.

The wear on the Woodsman must have some story, but I have no clue who put the wear on it. The story could be anything. Hell, I'd pay money to hear the story. But I don't think it would be nutty or irrational to have it refinished. It would look like a prince if done right!

But I did buy it to shoot and I tend to direct my funds toward shooting, so I likely won't have such work done. But if someone snuck it off and did it for me as a gift, I would cherish it.

Page generated in 0.03786 seconds with 8 queries