View Single Post
Old January 12, 2009, 08:37 PM   #21
orionengnr

Quote:
These sorts of situation make me consider pepper spray for the weak hand.
You know, I used to think the same way...until I realized that pepper spray is only good at 5-10 feet, and if they are a true threat, that is waaaay too close.
Quote:
They got way too close to you - 10 feet and you have about just over a second to react. Remember at 21 feet - it takes a guy about 2.1 seconds to get to you.
No. Football players run a 4 second 40 yard. Ten yards (30 feet) = one second. Twenty-one feet would be well under one second. Not every attacker is a pro football player, but many/most are young and in decent shape. (Google or Wiki: Teuller Drill).
Then think again about pepper spray and 10 feet...

Do not underestimate your potential adversary.

Bottom line--you did just fine. If the fuel was already flowing, I might have thought about giving them a quick gasoline dousing (nozzle in left hand, .45 in right) probably better range and better "pattern" than the pepper spray, arguably more effective/intimidating, and only $1.50 per gallon. Might make identifying the suspect easier too... "Yes, officer, four young males, left in a black Explorer, two of them smell like gasoline; the inside of the vehicle, likewise. Hope none of them is a smoker..."

Last edited by orionengnr; January 12, 2009 at 08:52 PM.

Page generated in 0.03714 seconds with 8 queries