Thread: .357 mag
View Single Post
Old June 3, 2005, 01:32 PM   #2
Webleywielder

S&W K frame battering by .357mag

I think the problem with K frames was recognized long before 125gr HPs became more commonly used than 158gr SPs. So I don't think gas cutting from 125s was the first issue people had with durability. It is my understanding that nobody ever expected people to shoot large quantities of .357mag in K frames because most training would be with .38Spl. Forty years ago we didn't have anywhere near as many people individually shooting thousands of rounds a year as we do now. The level of participation in shooting sports where power is a critical factor just did not exist. In the salad days of the .357mag K frame low powered PPC was the king of the hill.

A S&W K frame .357mag reminds me of a stock 4WD pickup and a S&W N frame .357mag reminds me of a 4WD pickup setup for the Baja 1000. Nothing wrong with the K if you are willing to use it at maximum capacity infrequently.
By the way, a J frame .357 is a light weight race car with an engine pushed to such extreme R.P.M. that it has to be rebuilt after almost every race.

"In a world devoid of semiautomatics, a properly set-up Webley is the ultimate full-size self-defense handgun."

Page generated in 0.03494 seconds with 8 queries