View Single Post
Old July 30, 2016, 10:31 PM   #20
Duncan74

Well this turned into a good thread. Someone was explaining all the measurements. I appriciate the time you took to do that but I completely understand all the measurements and how they are taken and I have all the tools to take the measurements.

I use the Hornady bullet comparator that goes on your calipers to take this measurement and the Hornady headspace comparator to check my head space. I use the Hornady OAL gauge to find my max OAL length and use the bullet comparator to take the measurement.

Then when I start working up loads for a gun I will then step back and load 5 shells to test at each length off the lands in .005" increments. .005", .010", .015", .020", and .025" to find out if the gun likes the bullet close to the lands or more bullet jump. Although a lot of bolt action rifles with a lot of throat wear the max OAL won't actually be the real max OAL because the cartridge won't fit in the magazine because the actual OAL is to long. So sometimes my max C.B.T.O. for certain rifles is simply the max length that the magazine will function with.

I was just curious if there was a proper term for this measurement from the back of the case to the bullets Ogive. As I said I personally for my own notes write these measurements down as B.S.O.A.L. For what I call the Bullet Shoulder(ogive) O.A.L.

I was just curious if there was a actual universal term for this measurement so that when discussing bullet seating lengths on this forum with everyone; people would know what I was talking about. I assumed or thought for sure their would be a definite term for this. It sounds like maybe the actual term is C.B.T.O for Cartridge Base To Ogive?!?

Thanks fellas. Good discussion!

Last edited by Duncan74; July 30, 2016 at 10:44 PM.

Page generated in 0.02585 seconds with 8 queries