View Single Post
Old January 27, 2013, 06:22 PM   #1
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Played With Some Loads Using Bullseye

I'm a long time HP38 (Win231) fan and have found my favorite load for use in my 1911s (.45ACP) is 5.0gr behind 230gr FMJ Precision Delta bullets seated at 1.240" using Federal Champion primers. Actually, I've used Federal Match, CCI, Remington 2.5, etc. and haven't noticed much difference. My goals in handloading is for combat, not target, accuracy, soft recoil, and reliable operation of the gun in different hands of individuals.

I've also used TiteGroup, HS6, PowerPistol, and Universal Clays in the past. I like them all for the most part. But then along comes Bullseye. Been around for some time. Proven track record. Big problem for me is I lost a sizeable amount of my loading records. So, it's back to the drawing board. Besides, I've added several firearms to the stable and guess it's time to learn how the heck you use Excel.

I started with my favorite OAL for .45ACP @ 1.240" and went with 5.0gr. Headed to the range and blazed away. Had no hiccups. Was accurate enough for my taste. One item of note was how impressed I was on how clean it burned and left the guns. I haven't cleaned my guns yet to see how easy clean up is going to be. But I'm venturing to guess it's going to be a snap. The "downside" is felt recoil seemed to be a bit higher than my pet load. I'm going to step down the charge to 4.8gr and see what happens.

Thought I'd give y'all my input on what's probably already common knowledge here. If anyone else has anything to add, whether Bullseye, OAL preferences, something completely different, by all means post away...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

Last edited by Shane Tuttle; January 27, 2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: 1.240" not 1.230"

Page generated in 0.02173 seconds with 8 queries