View Single Post
Old May 24, 2006, 02:30 PM   #4
22-rimfire

"My grandfather used to use a cigarette to "check the wind". He shot plenty of deer. I guess the deer are smarter, these days." I always find this both funny and interesting. Deer are not any smarter these days. I do believe in reasonable scent control. Some have gone so far as to say that the tobacco odor actually attracts deer. Who knows? But tobacco does advertise "human in the woods" and probably not a great idea.

Example: You can be the best driver in the world until that fateful night that a drunk driver hits you head on or pulls into you from a side street. Luck.

The other consideration is that a big old 12 point is going to be much smarter than a 1.5 year old 4-6 pt buck. There is usually a reason why they get that big and avoid hunters. Scent definitely comes into play as does a very savy sense of danger. A lot seems to depend on luck too.

Leather will trap odors. I would suspect mostly oil from your rifle. The oil on your gun also has an odor. My belief is that it is very difficult to control your scent and there are so many other considerations before you think about your rifle. How often do you wash your hunting clothes? Do you wear them to the field? Do you smoke while on your way to the field in your car? How badly do you perspire? Do you clean your boots? Shampoo or soap smells from bathing? Chewing gun?

Page generated in 0.02340 seconds with 8 queries